The mission of WINGS is to bridge the gap between diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, providing comprehensive breast health services to women in Central and South Texas who are uninsured…because everyone deserves a lifetime.
What We Do
WINGS is designed to fill the gap that exists between breast cancer detection and treatment. For many Central and South Texas uninsured women, WINGS is their only option for what is hoped to be life-saving care and treatment. WINGS utilizes a network of physicians and treatment centers to give these women a real chance at fighting this deadly disease. Beyond treatment, WINGS works in concert with organizations dedicated to education and outreach.
- WINGS is the only program of its kind in the country providing this kind of support for women with breast cancer.
- Provided support to over 900 South Texas women with breast cancer.
- Provided over $12 Million in healthcare services to women with breast cancer.
- Over 95% of the women treated through WINGS are still living, as a result of the program.
- Since its inception in 1999, WINGS has seen five-year survival rates for the women it serves increase from zero (untreated breast cancer) to 100% for Stage I disease.
- Received the Guidestar Gold Seal demonstrating a commitment to transparency.
- Maintains an efficiency rating of 94%, which is above that of the average nonprofit organization.
Programs and Services
WINGS offers lifetime comprehensive breast health care services to women in Central and South Texas. Once a women is selected for the WINGS program, enrollment is for a lifetime.
Our services include:
- WINGS I offers comprehensive breast cancer treatment to include covering the cost of surgical procedures, chemotherapy, radiation, labs, and physician visits.
- WINGS II offers follow-up care for uninsured breast cancer survivors including annual mammograms, lab work and physician visits for five years following remission.
- WINGS III pays payments of Cobra premiums for women in treatment who are in jeopardy of losing insurance coverage due to lack of funds.
- WINGS for Life is a survivorship program which offers follow-up care for those still uninsured, support groups, resource referrals, and survivor events and activities.
WINGS was founded in 1999 by two women, a breast cancer patient and her breast surgeon. They both knew firsthand the struggles women face even if they are insured. They realized many women have no insurance at all, and no fighting chance to beat this horrible disease. That was unacceptable. So, they decided to become Women Involved in Nurturing, Giving and Sharing – WINGS! WINGS gives uninsured women in South and Central Texas a fighting chance to beat breast cancer, by filling the vacuum that exists between detection and treatment.
It was an idea embraced by the medical community! Physicians from every part of the cancer industry aligned with us to work out a system that was affordable and effective. By melding the charitable, non-profit organization of WINGS with strong physicians’ practice groups, all patients receive the benefits of quality care at zero cost to the patient! And once a patient is accepted into the WINGS program, they are in it for life! After treatment is completed, our patients are moved into WINGS II, where they are monitored and will be covered should they need further medical attention. More than 900 women have been accepted into the program and every year we add more to our WINGS family.
WINGS is not only about the treatment of breast cancer, but we are also dedicated to education and outreach. We want to bring quality care to all women with breast cancer. Studies have shown the survival rate of WINGS patients far surpasses national averages (according to the National Cancer Society statistics). We believe it’s because of the stress free environment and quality of care that is provided to our patients.
We have also developed WINGS III, paying COBRA payments for women who lose their jobs, are in treatment, and can’t afford to pay their insurance premiums. With WINGS III, a woman does not have to worry about a lapse in insurance coverage, changing doctors, or the financial burden of paying those high premiums.
WINGS continues to grow and look for new ways to help the women of South and Central Texas who are battling breast cancer. Our impact is real, and the success is only due to the amazing generosity of the community. WINGS will continue to soar to new heights, thanks to all who support us.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Leslie Mouton (President)
Nancy May (Vice President)
San Antonio Humane Society
Lisa Friesenhahn (Treasurer)
Dona Kotzur (Secretary)
Gregory Higdon (Fundraising Chair)
Account Executive – Mid-Market
Leticia Van de Putte
Predico Partners, LLC
Bruce and Anne Johnson Charitable Foundation
Kelly Morris Public Relations
VP, Supplier Technology Solutions
Avnet Technology Solutions
Amy Lang M.D. (Medical Advisor)
Kathryn L. Safford M.D. (Medical Director & President Emeritus)
South Texas Oncology & Hematology
P. O. Box 5007, San Antonio, TX 78201
2800 N W Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78230
Tax ID # 74-2920912
© 2016 WINGS
Women Involved in Nurturing, Giving, Sharing