WINGS mission is to bridge the gap between diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, providing comprehensive breast health services to women in Central and South Texas who are uninsured…because everyone deserves a lifetime.
Founded in 1999 by a breast cancer patient and her surgeon, WINGS (Women Involved in Nurturing, Giving, Sharing, Inc.) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in San Antonio, Texas. WINGS is the only non-profit program of its kind in the region to provide no-cost comprehensive breast cancer treatment services to under or uninsured women in South-Central Texas. These services include physician visits, surgical procedures, chemotherapy, radiation, labs, scans, medications, rehabilitation, prosthetics, wigs, and more! WINGS also provides continuum care for uninsured breast cancer survivors for five years after remission. Additionally, the organization offers educational workshops, support groups, resource referrals, survivor events, and activities. Once enrolled and the patient remains eligible, benefits are offered for a lifetime. WINGS is currently serving over 800 women, providing over 1.3M in healthcare services per year.
What We Do
WINGS bridges the gap that exists between breast cancer detection and treatment. For hundreds of uninsured South Central Texas women, WINGS is their only option for potentially life-saving breast cancer treatment and care. WINGS partners with a network of physicians and treatment centers to provide these individuals with a real chance at fighting this deadly disease. Beyond treatment, WINGS works in concert with organizations dedicated to breast cancer education and outreach.
- Since its inception in 1999, WINGS has provided support to over 15,600 South Texas women with breast cancer.
- Provided over $21.4 million in healthcare services to women with breast cancer over 24 years.
- Over 95% of the women treated through WINGS are still living because of the program.
- WINGS has seen fifteen-year survival rates for the women it serves increase from zero (untreated breast cancer) to 100% for Stages I-III disease.
- Received the GuideStar Gold Seal, demonstrating a commitment to transparency.
- Maintains an efficiency rating of 95%, which is above that of the average nonprofit. This means only 5% of WINGS fundraising income goes to overhead. The majority of funding is invested directly to serve qualifying participants’ treatment and services.
Programs and Services
- WINGS I-Active Care offers comprehensive breast cancer care and treatment, including covering the cost of physician visits, surgical procedures, chemotherapy, radiation, labs, scans, medications, prosthetics, wigs, etc. (traditionally a two-and-a-half-year journey).
- WINGS II Continuum Care offers women who have graduated from WINGS I (diagnosed cancer-free), no-cost annual mammograms, labs, scans, medication, and physician visits for five years following remission.
- WINGS for Life is a survivorship program featuring follow-up care for those still under or uninsured, providing education workshops, support groups, resource referrals, survivor events, and activities.
Funding Resources and Contributions
- WINGS is 100% privately funded by individuals, corporations, churches, schools, and foundations.
- All financial support received strengthens our mission to provide lifesaving care and treatment…because everyone deserves a lifetime.
Ruth M. Gonzales – Executive Director
Vickie Miller – Accounting Manager
Yomara Garza – Patient Advocate
Maria Castillo – Patient Care Services Assistant
Bonnie Pargas – Community Outreach Coordinator
Board of Trustees
Jeanne Conger, President
Nellie Tijerina, Vice President
Eric Dupre, Treasurer
Bertha Gonzaba, Secretary
Members at large
Tiffany Wong Bernhausen
Brianna Jolla Scallion
Dora Ann Verde
WINGS Mailing & Office Address
2929 Mossrock #205
San Antonio, TX 78230
Tax ID Number:
© 2016 WINGS
Women Involved in Nurturing, Giving, Sharing